Dance Artists In Residence
DAIR applications open: 25 May 2017
Applications close: 30 June 2017
Ausdance Victoria Dance Artist in Residence Program (DAIR) invites independent dance artists, collectives, collaborators and companies of any dance genre to submit proposals for the 2017 program. Originally started by Ausdance NSW in 2015, DAIR makes it Victorian debut in 2017. DAIR affords artists free access to dance spaces for the development of their dance practice, creative development or rehearsal of work. Ausdance Victoria is partnering with four host venues this year to offer both one and two-week residencies.
DAIR is a direct response to the ongoing challenges of access to affordable and appropriate spaces to dance artists for the development of dance making and practice. DAIR activities may involve creative development, research, mentorships, rehearsal and remounting of work. Applicants can apply for a residency of one or two weeks.
To be eligible, primary applicants should be Victorian based and an Ausdance Victoria member, however collaborators may be interstate or internationally based.
DAIR recipients receive:
- Prior to residency, a 15-min phone call with an Ausdance Victoria representative to help with effective residency planning, implementation of artistic processes and format of studio showing
- One studio visit from an Ausdance VIC representative during residency
- Administrative support for studio showing (if required)
- Feedback session post residency
- Promotion of artist/residency through Ausdance Victoria e-news and social media
· Calibre of artist / collaborating artists
· Clear articulation of conceptual rationale and process
· Benefit to the artist in receiving the DAIR at this point in the development of a work OR to developing their practice.
NOTE: All successful DAIR recipients must provide a Certificate of Currency (Public Liability Insurance) before commencement of their residency.
Venues and Dates
You will be able to select three options (in order of preference) within your application.
Shirley Burke Theatre (Studio): 64 Parkers Rd, Parkdale
· 25 September – 7 October (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
One week residency:
· 25 – 30 September (Monday to Saturday, 9am to 5pm)
· 2 – 7 October (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)
Please note the studio is closed 29 September.
Melbourne City Ballet: 5/19 Pentridge Blvd, Coburg
Two-week residency: 21 August – 1 September (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm)
The DAIR artist must also teach a paid workshop for Melbourne City Ballet students in the week beginning 11 September.
Frankston Arts Centre (Cube 37 Studios): 27-37 Davey St, Frankston
Two-week residency: 7 – 18 August (times as listed below)
Monday 7 August: 9am - 9pm
Tuesday 8 Aug: 9am - 3pm
Wed – n/a
Thursday 10 Aug: 9am - 12pm
Friday 11 Aug: 9am - 3pm
Monday 14 August: 9am – 9pm
Tuesday 15 August: 9am - 3pm
Thursday 17 August: 9am - 12pm
Friday 18 August: 9am - 2pm
Melbourne Academy of Performing Arts (MAPA): 140 Hall St, Spotswood
Two residencies will be offered for two weeks each:
· 31 July – 11 August (Monday to Friday)
· 14 August – 25 August (Monday to Friday)
Monday 10:00am – 3:45pm
Tuesday 9:15am - 3:45pm
Wednesday 9:15am -3:45pm
The DAIR artists are required to:
· Tag MAPA in social media posts about the work being created during the residency
· Hold a showing for the MAPA community at the end of residency (specifically for MAPA Elite students), if work being created is appropriate for this target audience.